Friday, July 6, 2012

A Sale Indeed: Coldwater Creek's History

 My dearest darlingest Mumsie and I went out for coffee this morning and stopped by Coldwater Creek (mainly because I heard that they were having a sale on top of a sale. Incidentally, she'd heard that too). I surprised myself by purchasing something--two of the double lace tanks, one in grapevine and one in spring lake. Normally, I'm more inclined to forgo the lace and stick with the four season tank, but I didn't like the colors on sale for that one. Anyway, not only was I able to buy a size smaller than I usually do, but, including tax, I got out of the store for $25! Please note that the tanks regularly priced are usually $30+. So I'm quite proud of me.

Anyway, while I was there, we ended up having quite the conversation with the saleslady, who was very knowledgeable about Coldwater Creek and its history. Apparently, the company started out as an in-home business that specifically sold authentic Indian Jewelry. It was highly successful, and on a lark, the owners decided to sell a single Native-American sweater design. The sweater was a huge hit, and thus began Coldwater Creek's journey as a clothing store! All of its designs are unique to the company, and with new policy changes, they are following the indie style of clothing production; rather than having a large collection that sells for several months before the next collection comes out, the collections are smaller and there are only so many of each item produced. This makes me a very happy girl.

I then asked where most of the clothing was made. I was a bit disappointed to find that it was made all over the world, because I think it would be really awesome to have a line made and designed by Native American  people. I mean, that was how the company got started. Fortunately, though, their clothes aren't all mass produced in China. They come from a variety of different nations--China, Sri Lanka, the US, India, Africa...you name it. So I suppose I can forgive the partial abandonment of American roots.

Isn't that interesting?? They have a new rewards card program, too--obviously, I signed up for that. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on their sales. I'd love to score some more well-made, indie-esque clothing for very cheap. In the mean time, I'm going to head to the gym. I'm hoping that buying a S instead of an M means that my gym time has been effective, not just that they're being more generous in their sizing. ;)

P.S. Oh, yeah. There is a sale both in-stores and online right now for Coldwater Creek. 40% off all already discounted merchandise in-store, 30% store-wide online. Check it out at http://www.coldwatercreek.com
Also, if you aren't following me on twitter yet, please do! I post lots of sales and cool stuff on it--stuff that is really too short to merit a post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...