Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Down With the Bloody Big Head: Trial Run of a Work In Progress

If you haven't been around for long, it is time that you learn one very important fact: I'm obsessed with Alice in Wonderland. This probably has something to do with reading the books for the first time under the influence of pain medication and a raging fever. That said, I've been building a Mad Hatter costume for quite a while now. Over the next few days (or the next few weeks, depending on how often I can get on to post), I'll be going over some new pieces that I got to add to my collection. However, I did get to put some of my costume to the test recently at a costume party. 
The costume was very much a hit, but, it obvious needs more work. I don't have an undershirt for my corset yet, so I ended up throwing it over a t-shirt or something (part of the reason I'm wearing the jacket and floppy bow tie in these photos). My plan for the bottom half of the costume (pantaloons/gypsy skirt) hasn't materialized yet, so I grabbed one of my dancing skirts, since it is bright and fluffeh. I also used three cans of orange hairspray to manage to get my hair slightly red. That was a last minute plan that was very spontaneous, since I essentially was walking through walmart and went "Oooh! Orange hairspray! Kewl!" and bought it.

 Probably the most accurate part of my costume was my make-up, and even that was...manipulated. I didn't realize until after I put it all on that I had done the eyes mirror image of Depp's Hatter, and I couldn't resist adding in a nod to the Red Queen with the heart-shaped lips. Porsche (pictured to the left as Mini Mouse/Cinderella) was extra supportive in this project, especially since she turned out to be the only other real Disney geek at this party. 

The Hatter costume has a long way to go, but I'm steadily adding things. Perhaps in the next four or five years I can actually complete it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...