Sunday, May 27, 2012

Madagascar 3: Clues On How To Create Gia

As I mentioned the other day, I am going to a prescreening of Madagascar 3 in San Francisco. I'm also intending to go as Gia, the jaguar that is in the circus that Alex, Marty, Melman and Gloria hail as a cab. As an edit, this is the beginning of my costume design, so there are no instructions in this post. Rather, further posts are linked to at the bottom of this post and can direct you to certain aspects of the cosplay. I intended to start designing my Gia by taking a look at Ben Nye.

I merely thought that Ben Nye's catalogue would lead me down the right path in my search to create a human-sized Gia. In the past, when the Ben Nye catalogue felt akin to a candy store, I could find all sorts of tips and instructions for creating different creatures, characters and animals. There would be a nice picture and step-by-step instructions on how to do stuff and/or a list of ingredients--I still have the explosion victim page saved as a jpeg on my computer so I could keep the road rash/blister stuff close by, just in case I never needed that for work. The catalogue, however, has been replaced with a flashy new one that merely lists what Ben Nye sells and has pictures of models standing around and smiling in professional, normal every-day wear. No spread of circus animals in sight.

So, I'm back at square one. Incidentally, all the tabs on the Ben Nye page that might help me aren't hyperlinked, so I can't get to those pages.

Next stop was google, which wasn't too helpful at first, however, I'm willing to claim an operator error on that. Eventually, though, it gave me a link to Ben Nye's 40th anniversary catalogue, which comes with five different big cats and a pirate to boot. Obviously, as much as I would like to replicate my favorite pussy and merely add spots (check out Demeter on page 29), I can't do that on such short notice, nor do I think I can afford that much make-up for a one-shot deal. It does give me a starting place, though.

So far, I have determined the following:

1. I need to buy a good set of really long eyelashes.
2. Elf ears can act as emergency substitutes for Necomimi.
3. That blue pearl and rhinestone necklace one of my guy friends gave me several Christmases ago can double as Gia's pretty, ornate floral necklace.
4. I want real whiskers.

 For instructions and commentary on creating a Gia, see also:
Making Gia's Whiskers
Creating Gia's Spots

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...