Thursday, May 31, 2012

Madagascar 3: Making Gia's Whiskers

Making cat whiskers really isn't that hard. That said, I'm a genius for thinking this up. I knew that gluing the cat whiskers directly to my face wouldn't work; there simply would not be enough area to apply the spirit gum given the length and weight of the whiskers. Thus, I've contrived a more genius strategy. Granted, this takes a little more planning, but it doesn't take that much to do. All I used was
  • Ben Nye Scar Effects Gel
  • Spirit Gum
  • Wax Paper
  • One of those weird light up fiber optic wands we used to get on holidays as kids
Apparently, those fiber optic wands we used to get as kids are now huge rave toys. They're also being sold as hair barrettes, and, if I end up going to an event in the evening that is outdoors ever again, I think I'll wear a set of these, because they look really cool and I'm childish like that. Anyway, back to cat whiskers.

I started by heating water to start melting the Effects Gel--work experience has taught me that this is always the first thing you do. Please, do be advised that hot water is hot, and things melted in hot water will also be, well, hot. I'm used to some things because I handle them all the time and my skin has become desensitized. Yours probably haven't. If there's a little direction manual that comes with your Effects Gel, read it. Incidentally, if you are looking to buy Scar Effects Gel, you usually have to buy it in the effects gel wound kit. You can buy it individually from the International Fun Shop, but I've never purchased from them, so I can't vouch for the company.

After I set the gel to heating, I started measuring out and cutting the fiber optics. You can see, in the picture, that Gia has five whiskers on each side (click the picture up top, and it should enlarge so you can see more detail). For each set of whiskers that I made, I made an extra, just in case something goes sideways when I apply them, or one breaks, or any other mishap occurs.

Once the Effects Gel is liquid, I let it drip out onto the wax paper and cool a bit. When it was more cohesive, I stuck a fiber optic thing into each droplet. I didn't do it straight up and down, because then the angle would be wrong when I applied it. Rather, I did them at an angle to the side. You may have to put something for the clean end of the optic to rest against as the Gel finishes hardening--you don't want the optic to lay flat against the wax paper, either. Then, you just had to let it sit and dry for ever and a half.

You've probably already figured out the final step. After the Gel is hard, you remove it from the wax paper, apply spirit gum and stick it to your face. You'll probably want to stick it above your lip, corresponding to where they sit on Gia's face, not only for accuracy, but also because sticking anything on around the edges of your mouth is just a bad idea, since your lower face moves more than any other part of your face, perhaps excepting the eyelids.

So there. Brilliant, genius whiskers, if I do say so myself.

For instructions and commentary on creating a Gia, see also:
Clues on How To Create Gia
Creating Gia's Spots

So, apparently by law I have to tell you that I do get a kick-back if you purchase something from Amazon through the above Amazon links. So, yay, if you love me and at least can stand my blog, show me a little love next time you have to order something. Ironically, according to Amazon's bylaws and whatever for being an affiliate, I can't tell you that I'm an affiliate and that I get a kick-back when you order anything by getting to their site through one of my links. Not sure who to fear, here. Oh, yeah. If you burn yourself with, ingest any or do any other stupid things with any of the products discussed above, it isn't my fault. It is yours, and this is Darwin's theory being put into action. So pay attention. I already warned you that the stuff gets hotter than you would expect, mainly because when I started working with it, I ended up hurting myself the first few times. Don't be an idiot and ignore me and the notes that Ben Nye puts with the product. Just in case you missed it: Hot Stuff Is Hot. Got that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...