Thursday, July 14, 2011

Moses Supposes His Toeses Are Roses

Roses are probably the prettiest flower that comes with thorns. I've always found it funny that these thorny plants are the symbol of love. I'm sure there is a story there, but I haven't researched it. Instead, I fell into rose-dom on etsy the other day, the same day that I came up with all the watches. So here's a rosy rundown of my favorite accessories. I was a bit eccentric in my choices, ranging from complete goth to normal stuff. So, here's a quick look at the awesomeness.

Goth
This Ikebana Cuff by ghost love jewelry caught my eye. I would love to use this as a costume piece someday. The ornate layering and long ribbons give it a feel that could be sinister or fun, depending on how it was used. A great partner to this (it also comes in a bronze) is the Rose Heart Necklace from robinhoodcouture. We talked about this vendor in my most recent Hatta post,so this should be slightly familiar.

If big jewelry isn't your thing, there is also the more sedate ScarletRose Locket. This actually comes in several color designs, including a girlie light pink and white, so don't write it off as total goth. The Victorian Cuff is a nice complement, and, like the Ikebana, does not fully encircle the wrist, and is thus a safe optioned for the big boned among us.

The final piece is a cage headpiece, and is made from duct tape. The rose looks awesome, and is accented with feathers and, of course, the net.

Girlie-Girl
Pink is the girl's color, and pink roses are always good, right? Pink is close to red, but isn't the same, and one shade is goth and the other shade is what you dress up your most feminine girls in. Tomboys don't get pink. But, here's some of the finds that made me *almost* wish I was the girlie-girlie-girl sort of person. LizHutnik starts it off with a very detailed peppermint rose ring (pictured). I usually don't like rose rings, as they make me feel like the rose just got plopped down for lack of a better idea, but this one looks like it is one well thought out, cohesive piece. Take a look through Liz's store. She has a lot of other great flower pieces. A nice hair accent to this is the Misty Dawn Bobby Pin Set. Please, don't make me embarrassed by using decorative bobby pins incorrectly. Put some hair over the normal bobby pin part of the pin. Don't cover the decoration, but please hid the fact that it is a bobby pin. The hair geeks will thank you.

Gypsy/Vintage

I like the gypsy look. Its quite fun. Pictured is the Sia Hair Flower. The flowers are set to look vintage-y, but still have that slightly wild feel to them. I think this is actually supposed to be a wedding piece, but I love it anyway.

Not to be worn with the Sia Hairpiece is the Bianca Sunshine Rosebud Belt. This belt is made of little fabric flowers, and is a great vintage add. Rosebudlips makes a lot of accessories like this. If you like this look, I recommend getting a good variety of these flowers in a pin/hairpiece combo. One of my friends works wonders with these flowers, using them as pick-me-up accents to an otherwise drab and boring dress. I've also seen her artfully disguise the fact that she's wearing the same thing two days in a row by rearranging where the flowers are located. Its her own little "stop and smell the roses" moment.

Watch out for the thorns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...