Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Recreation: Georgie Henley at AlbertaFerretti Fashion Show

I'm pretty picky about clothing, and I don't really care to "copy" clothes. I heard a while back that a certain dress sold out less than a month after it was made. Why? Lindsay Lohan wore it to make an appearance in court, and a million women rushed out to buy the exact same piece. I did not approve.

I do approve, however, of copying styles. I also like it at a cheaper rate (I stressed that when I re-created one of Liv Tyler's Paris Fashion Week outfits), but I also want to keep the flavor of the original design. No cardboard cut outs!

Georgie Henley is another person who I usually think has good style sense. This simple evening dress is the perfect balance for Georgie. It isn't little princess, but it isn't stately adult. It is reserved, but playful. It is cute, but not revealing. To duplicate the style, I went to BetseyJohnson.com and took a look at some of her evening wear. The style is the same, but the clothing is different. This dress is a little more shapely, having a corset-like waist and a flair to the skirt, versus the no-waist style Georgie wears.

Instead of fringe, it substitutes lace, making it a bit more playful than the original. The skirt is also shorter, but no problem: BetseyJohnson also produces a full-length version and a pink version. A simple, no-frills handbag would offset the look, and I personally think that this style would go well with flats or flip-flops, if need be. Of course, I am biased, since I believe every outfit can be worn with flip-flops, as long as said flip-flops are in the right color and decorated sufficiently.

I'm from California. I can wear flip-flops where I want. Then again, I'm also over 5'9", and dressy shoes usually have heels, and I don't particularly care to be towering over everyone. Georgie doesn't have that problem: she had a nice pair of peep-toed shoes to go with her dress. I think a shoe with a small flower on it would be very fitting for this outfit. Extra kudos if you can get an identical flower for your hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...