Saturday, July 30, 2011

Style Rant: Layering


Poor unfortunate souls that read this. I hope I do not scar you for life by telling you about one of my pet peeves. As you may be aware, I love layering things--to a certain extent. I also strongly despise when someone layers clothing incorrectly. Layering has a purpose. That purpose is not to look like you're so dead broke that you had to steal your little sisters' undergarments and put five or six on so you can appear somewhat clothed in public.

How to avoid bad layering:
-do not layer the exact same shirt/tank in different colors.
-only one layer should have lace or beading
-only one layer should have embroidery
-only layer complimentary colors
-only one layer should be a bold color.

So what IS good layering? Well, I found a great example in Coldwater Creek the other day. It was well though out, and was put together by a professional for display. If you ever feel the need to improve your style sense, the best thing you could do (after reading this blog, of course), is to wander around stores like Coldwater and study the displays. What do you like about them? What would you change? Try to figure out the display patterns that work the best.

Take a look at this sample. The blue outfit is a classic: patterned skirt, white blouse, blue vest, belt. A quick style note on this: the shirt and the vest are actually the exact same cut, just in different colors. It has taken advantage of layers, and is incredibly versatile. A white longsleeve shirt could go under this vest and would look perfectly fine. It can be dressed up, it can be dressed down, but it stays beautiful. And there is the added bonus that these shirts are wrinkle free. I love these wrinkle free shirts; they ard great for traveling. Unless you, like, crumple them up and stick them under your matress for a week, they remain smooth as anything. Even if you do manage to wrinkle them, just stick them I the bathroom after you shower. The wrinkles will disappear in the warmth and humidity.

But I digress. THIS is an example of good layering. Wear clothing layered like this and I shall be a happy woman. Ignore me and I shall hate your lacy-clashing- shirts forever.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...