Monday, July 4, 2011

Red White and Blue Hues

If you haven't noticed, today is Independence Day in the U.S., more commonly referred to as "The Fourth of July." For me, Memorial Day and the 4th seem a bit like repeat celebrations, because celebrating our declared independence from Great Britain makes me think of all the people who have sacrificed to defend our nation, and celebrating all the people who have sacrificed to defend our nation reminds me of Independence Day. Either way, I end up thinking red, white, and blue, and this morning, I realized something. 

I can't see anything patriotic in my closet.

That was an awful realization. Perhaps it is because I am normally required to wear a navy blue skirt and white button down on July 4th. I have two patriotic scarves, but that is it. No flashy bejeweled flags on my shirts. No Nothing. In this absence of red white and blue, I've been reduced to wearing black with a rose screen printed on my shirt. In sharp contrast, my first 4th was so thoroughly patriotic you couldn't even see baby. There is a better picture from when I'm about six, but I gave up on finding it. It was much cuter, and less drool-ridden. I apparently drooled a lot as a baby.

Bereft of patrioticness, at least in dress, I drifted over to etsy to see what patriotism was on display there. There was a variety of great artistry, including the canvas pictured above (by KLynnae), as well as a variety of dog tags. I've always admired people who have a way to make dog tags into a tasteful accessory. They're cool, and I think its a nice way to announce your support for the troops. My discoveries ranged from tags with different military seals (the Marine tag is pictured to the right) to USA earrings made from charms and dog tags. Quite cute.


My personal favorite, though, was a necklace that is done to help the Pinup Patriettes raise funds for various military/verteran support groups. I've had a little trouble determining who exactly the Pinup Patriettes are, since their site is down, but it appears to be founded by some pinup girls and their friends who travel around to different events selling flags and pins and other patriotic mementos. The proceeds go to various military and veteran support groups, such as the Wounded Warrior Project. My main focus, however, was on the necklace. It has patriotism spattered all over it. It is made up of two dog tags and some beading, the bottom tag having the flag on it, the upper tag having the PP's logo on it. Pretty, not too complex, and patriotic. 

And, as a plus, I can wear it with a blue skirt and a white button down shirt. Happy Independence Day. Remember those who make our Independence possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...