Monday, June 20, 2011

Bridal Feature: Balancing Bling and Bloom

A few days ago, I briefly mentioned designer Pnina Tornai when I last talked about bling. She is the creator of the dress that I am still dying to get a picture of: the all-swarovski crystal wedding dress. So far, no luck. However, today, I'm lacking much inspiration for anything except something related to Say Yes To The Dress, the TLC show that I am kinda sorta a little addicted to. It all started when my great aunt suddenly turned to me one afternoon and said:
"You know, you really should watch Say Yes to the Dress."
"What's that?" I asked.
"Its about weddings. Watch an episode, and you'll see."

That afternoon, I slipped back up to my hotel room, and downloaded season 5, episode 1.

I was hooked. The show is so much more than simply watching people pick out wedding dresses. For me, it is a study of interpersonal relationships, and great for examining psychology. And a chance to look at pretty (and absolutely horrendous) gowns. Out of all of those gowns, I must say my absolute favorites (and absolute hatrites) all come from Pnina Tornai. The first dress that caused me to fall in love with Pnina's designs is the one pictured above. The second is this one. For more pictures of the dress, you can actually see wedding pictures from the American Chopper family here. I love the simplicity and drape of this dress, with its quiet elegance.

Contrast to that another one of Pnina's creations, which lands on the complete other side of the spectrum. Big, bulky, and heavy. Yet, its still unique, as is the over-blinged ballgown that has been a hatrite for several years.

Pnina's designs often walk a fine line, one where designs will either soar high or will crash and burn. Most interesting to me is, the ones that completely crash and burn in my mind are favorites for others. To each her own, I suppose. I just can't understand that much dress.

Take a look at Kleinfeld's site, and maybe you'll be come a Say Yes addict, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...