Saturday, June 25, 2011

Push the Button, Max! Remembering Peter Falk

The Princess Bride (20th Anniversary Edition)A great man was lost this week. Peter Falk died on Thursday, June 23th. He was 83. A great actor, who I thoroughly enjoyed watching. He was first introduced to me as the grandfather in The Princess Bride, where he expertly tells a love story to his young grandson, who is sick and more interested in video games than in spending time with his relatives. It is a beautiful story, and Peter Falk is a wonderful narrator. I never imagined that the grey-haired storyteller would become one of my favorite actors, but he did.

The Great RacePeter Falk is probably best known for Columbo, among other pieces. I never watched Columbo. The one film that I have watched the most of Peter Falk's is The Great Race, a prized piece that my father introduced me to. Falk plays Max, Professor Fate (Jack Lemmon)'s assistant. I can't count the number of times I've watched this film, and every time, I have to marvel at the great acting, the pranks, and the wonder of it all. Max is one of my favorite characters, and I can't think of any person who could have brought him to life quite like Peter Falk did.

I know Peter hasn't made any films for a while, but it is still sad losing someone with talent. We will miss you, Mr. Falk.

"Push the button, Max!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...