Sunday, June 19, 2011

West Coast Trending: Feathered Hair

As some of you may know, at the end of July I will be in Kansas and the surrounding states visiting friends, working at conferences, and generally making a nuisance of myself. Right before I go, however, I plan to utilize a Californian trend that has pretty much become a usual thing in my town, but is relatively unheard of outside of the west coast: I am going to get my hair feathered.

Hair feathering isn't exactly new, it just has taken a while to spread, mainly because it was incredibly expensive for a very long time. It started growing popular when brides started demanding feathers again, and, like any other industry, began to explode. Bridal sites began advising on where to get the best feathers, Refinery29 featured the trend, and an LA stylist put a new spin on the trend by substituting tinsel for feathers. Personally, the only reason why I would take feathers over tinsel is that its summer, and I don't have to look as professional when I'm traveling. I actually ran across the tinsel trend before I saw the feathers, which shows how much I was paying attention.

For fun, go ahead and grab a piece of paper and a pencil, and mark these statements as true/false/not usually. I'm not linking to sources for these, mainly because I'm not sure I could remember where I found all the factoids.

  1. The feather is attached to your scalp with a fishhook.
  2. If the feathers are real, a rooster was tortured to get them.
  3. Synthetic feathers can be made to reach any length.
  4. The feather is attached to a strand of hair with a small silicon bead. 
  5. A good stylist can "clamp" two feathers together to make a long feather for longer hair.


Statement 1: Not usually true. While I suppose it could be done, the usual method is to use a silicon bead.
Statement 2: True. So watch out where you get your feathers. Also, for health reasons, I would suggest avoiding real feathers in the hair, since real feathers can house microscopic pests. If those pests can live on a rooster, they can live on you, too.
Statement 3: False. Feathers cannot be made longer than about a foot, and still maintain the thin width usual for feathering.
Statement 4: True. A feather will last about six weeks when applied in this manner. After that, you will molt.
Statement 5: True. A stylist who knows what he or she is doing can adjust the length of feathers to fit to your hair length.

Have you tinseled or feathered your hair? If you have, what was it like? Would you do it again?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...